We’re deep into the dog days of summer, where the heat is up and many of us (dogs included) are hiding indoors to avoid sweat and sunburns. But with the Fourth of July just around the corner, it’s time to venture outdoors for some festive activities. Now is the perfect time to prep a cool treat for your pup to enjoy once the party is in full force. Loud noises like fireworks can be extremely stressful for sensitive dogs, and even the increase in friends or family celebrating with you might make your dog feel left out or confused. Use this simple and healthy paw-psicle recipe as a special distraction to keep your pet cool and ready to pawty!
3-Ingredient Summer Dog Treats
Ingredients: Peanut Butter, Chicken Stock, and Parsley
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- In a small bowl, combine peanut butter and parsley; set aside.
- Divide chicken stock evenly into a silicone ice cube tray, filling the tray halfway full. Place into the freezer and freeze until set, about 1 hour.
- Spoon peanut butter mixture into the tray, filling the tray full. Place into the freezer and freeze until hard, at least 4 hours.
Notes From The Kitchen:
- Pick a peanut butter that does not contain xylitol, because this ingredient is harmful to dogs. We picked Maranatha because it is organic!
- If the consistency of the peanut butter is too thick, it can be warmed for a smoother consistency.
- Keep these stocked in the freezer all summer long for a quick and healthy treat option!
Don’t Forget The Fireworks
If frozen treats aren’t enough to keep your dog content during all the fireworks, don’t worry. We put together a list of calming options so you can be prepared to keep your dog comfortable and anxiety-free throughout the holiday!
Total Calm & Focus Chews – Total Calm & Focus Chews from Ramard help eliminate your dogs anxiety and stress without drowsiness. The proprietary ingredient Ramisol lowers the dog’s natural cortisol (stress hormone) levels. Teamed with magnesium and a blend of B Vitamins, Total Calm & Focus Canine calms nervous, anxious dogs while promoting enhanced focus.
Sentry Calming Ointment – Sentry Calming Ointment helps encourage good behavior even for the most anxious of dogs. Things like fireworks, thunderstorms, and loud noises can cause unnecessary anxiety for your dog. With this calming ointment, you help settle your dog and control erratic behavior caused by stress.
Tomlyn Relax & Calm Chews – Relax & Calm Chews are chicken liver-flavored chews designed to eliminate your pet’s stress and anxiety. Formulated with L-tryptophan and chamomile, these chews are easy to give in stressful situations. Relax & Calm Chews are easy to administer and taste great while relaxing your pet.
Relax & Enjoy
Now that you’ve got your paw-psicles in the freezer and your calming options on hand for the fireworks, it’s time to sit back and enjoy the show! Have a happy and safe Fourth of July from FarmVet!
If you try our recipe, send us pictures of your treats and your dog enjoying them! Too busy to make your own treats? We have a wide variety of pet treats that are sure to please your pup. You can shop them here!