With Halloween festivities just around the corner, it’s time to get the treats ready for your household! This Halloween, your pets don’t have to feel left out of the spooky fun. Candy and sweets aren’t healthy for a dog or horse, but we have a simple cookie recipe that your pets can safely enjoy!
Carrot & Greek Yogurt Chewies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 30-35 chewies
– 2 cups of whole wheat flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 3/4 cup greek yogurt
– 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
– 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
– 1 egg (lightly beaten)
– 1/4 cup milk
– Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
– Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
– In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
– In mixer bowl add greek yogurt, carrot and oatmeal and half of the flour mixture.
– Mix on low speed and gradually add the remaining flour mixture.
– Drizzle in the egg and milk.
– Mix on medium speed until well combined
– Scoop 2 tablespoon portions onto the prepared baking sheet.
– Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the outside, but soft on the inside.
– Remove from oven and allow to cool.
– Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze.
Notes From The Kitchen
This recipe initially called for a 1/2 cup of applesauce, but we substituted greek yogurt instead! We started with 1/2 cup of the greek yogurt but realized the mixture was a little dry. After adding 1/4 cup more, it was just the right consistency!
To make our treats extra special, we added sugar-free, xylitol-free, organic gummy bears to the top of the chewies! While giving multiple gummies to your dog isn’t recommended, it is perfectly safe for your horse! You can even add candy corn for a Halloween-themed twist.