Hot summer weather means more time indoors and less time on walks. So, we resort to finding other means of entertainment to keep our dogs occupied and happy. What better way to provide enrichment and fun than with a healthy treat? Enter, the Frozen Kong this summer-inspired toy/treat will help keep your dog entertained for hours while indoors or even in their kennels, making you feel comfortable getting out to enjoy summer activities.
Kongs are a fun toy for dogs just on their own, but adding the stuffing creates a challenge and encourages some problem-solving. Freezing the stuffing not only adds to the challenge, but also helps the treat last longer, and adds that cooling element that is perfect for summer. Just as you may crave a popsicle or ice cream after a day in the sun, your dog will enjoy having an icy treat of his own. Plus the licking and chewing provides added mental stimulation making it the perfect summer enrichment treat.
How To Make a Frozen Kong
Frozen Kongs are simple to make, and you can get as creative as you want with your recipes. Of course, ensure that all ingredients used are dog safe. Another thing to consider is the level of difficulty you create with the Kong. A Kong that is stuffed full with a hard frozen block of filling may be more difficult and even frustrating to a beginner pup. Try just lining the inside for the first time or two and work up the level of difficulty by adding more stuffing each time. You can also up the level of difficulty by switching between the Classic Kong and the Goodie Ribbon.
Here’s a simple single-ingredient recipe to get you started:
- Step 1: Choose a jar of peanut butter that has limited ingredients and add-ins. Brands that just contain peanuts are best for our dogs! Just make sure to avoid peanut butter with Xylitol, a sugar substitute found in lower or sugar-free products.
- Step 2: Using a spoon or knife, line the inside of the Kong with the peanut butter. You can leave a little mess around the edges too for some easy access to the treat and encourage beginners to explore their new toy.
- Step 3: Place in the freezer for a few hours until frozen, and serve.
While this recipe is super simple, it’s easy to switch it up from here. Add some mashed banana, chicken broth, or even kibble to the layers for more tasty enjoyment.
Safety Measures and Precautions
Here are a few things to remember when giving your dog a frozen Kong.
- Choose a Kong that is size appropriate for your pet. We carry a variety of size options and styles here.
- Only use stuffing ingredients that are safe for your dog. As mentioned before, choose a brand of peanut butter with limited added ingredients to avoid any risk of adverse reactions.
- Supervise your pet, especially for their first few times with a frozen stuffed Kong to ensure it’s a fun and safe experience.
Shop more toys and enrichment activities for your dog here. Or, you can shop all our products at FarmVet.com 24/7. You can also call one of our friendly Sales Associates at 1-888-837-3626 or email your order to email@example.com.
While keeping our pets safe year-round is always a priority, summer introduces a few new challenges for pet owners. Read our blog here to learn some tips for a safe summer with your pet.